When you think of living room furniture, coffee tables are the second thing that comes to mind after sofas. And, although coffee tables are common, there is a vast range of options to select from.
When the time comes to buy a coffee table for your living room, you will be searching for one that fits a certain set of requirements.
There are many types of coffee tables in the industry but the basics are glass, metal, and wood coffee tables.
For now, let’s stick to the basics: we’ll help you decide between a wooden and a glass table. In this post, we will go over some of the benefits and drawbacks of both kinds of coffee tables so that you may evaluate your choices appropriately.
1. Advantages of Wood Coffee Tables
Many people question why solid wood is the best material for coffee tables.
Solid wood coffee tables can endure for decades due to the high quality of the solid wood and the workmanship employed.
The grain of the wood is enhanced in solid wood, adding an exquisite touch to any area in your house. A solid wood coffee table will provide you with a majestic piece of furniture that will endure for many years with little to no maintenance.
They also make excellent heirlooms due to their longevity and classic design.
The advantages and disadvantages of a solid wood coffee table are mostly related to weight and appearance. Depending on the needs of the individuals who use the table on a daily basis, having a particularly hefty coffee table may be either an advantage or a drawback
While many people like the appearance of wood, a solid wood coffee table does need some care to maintain it in excellent condition.
It must also be kept against being stained by moisture from the cups and saucers left on its surface.
Another aesthetic advantage that may offset this disadvantage is that a solid wood coffee table may be stained or painted to match the space if it is relocated or restyled.
Here are some bullet points you’ll need to know about the advantages of having a wooden coffee table:
- Wooden coffee tables are extremely functional and simple to clean. If it is constructed of solid wood, it will need to be varnished or oiled on occasion to keep the wood in good condition.
- A wooden coffee table can endure a lot of wear and tear and, if properly cared for, may survive for many years.
- Wood is also extremely sturdy and useful, and if you have children or dogs, there is no risk of them damaging it if they drop anything on it. They may get a few bumps if they run into it, but it won’t shatter or break apart.
- If you want to alter the color of your coffee table after a few years, you may sand it down, prime it, and then paint it another color.
- You can easily choose wood screws in case the legs fall apart.
- There are many kinds of wooden coffee tables available on the market. Some are made with a veneer surface. This will provide you with a wide range of choices when it comes to selecting a coffee table with a veneer finish.
- There are so many places to go when searching for a coffee table that it shouldn’t be difficult to locate one that matches your décor before buying one.
One significant advantage of a solid wood coffee table is that, if properly cared for, it is a piece of furniture that may endure for many lives making it antiquated furniture. It may be handed down as a collector’s item as well as serving home for many years.
As a result, some individuals select wood furniture with a very traditional appearance that will be loved for many generations.
2. Disadvantages of Wooden Coffee Tables
However, of course, there are also downsides to opting for wooden coffee tables. Here are some of the disadvantages you need to be aware of:
- When purchasing a wooden coffee table, you must be sure about the wood’s quality. Some tables may be constructed of chipboard/particle board, which isn’t as good as real wood.
- Some hardwood coffee tables may have a thin coating of veneer on the surface, which implies that they are less expensive to purchase.
- The quality of certain kinds of veneer may differ across furniture manufacturers. If the veneer is of poor quality and too thin, it will peel or blister if it is damaged.
- If anything chipped it or if you inadvertently knocked it against the wall while moving it, you may see it peeling away from the wood or becoming damaged.
3. Advantages of Glass Coffee Table
There are many factors to consider when purchasing a glass coffee table.
Glass tables are both inexpensive and flexible pieces of furniture. They are also often lighter than other kinds of coffee tables.
The disadvantage is that they may need extensive cleaning and pose significant hazards when put in places frequented by youngsters.
Here are some bullet points to know the main advantages of a glass coffee table:
- The majority of glass coffee tables feature a wooden or metal frame.
- If you have a rug in your living room, having a glass coffee table allows guests to view the pattern of the rug.
- Because of the transparency of glass, a glass-top coffee table improves the living area. It is excellent for tiny areas because glass creates a spatial illusion, making a small living room seem bigger than it is.
- Glass top coffee tables are simple to clean with a damp towel and glass cleaner.
- Tempered glass is a new kind of glass that is stronger and safer than regular glass due to recent advancements in the glass industry. Tempered glass is excellent for coffee table tops since it is more durable than regular glass.
4. Disadvantages of Glass Coffee Tables
The one drawback of having a glass-top coffee table is that it is more prone to breaking than metal or wood coffee tabletops. This is particularly true if you choose regular glass as your coffee tabletop rather than tempered glass.
If you have children, having a glass-top coffee table raises the chances of accidents and harm.
These are some disadvantages you need to consider before buying a glass coffee table:
- The thickness of the glass may vary depending on the furniture hardware supplier, so check the spec before you purchase to see what the thickness of the glass is. You want a robust table that can endure some damage.
- If the manufacturer does not utilize tempered glass on the coffee table, it will shatter into millions of tiny fragments when it breaks.
- People who do not utilize coasters for their beverages will leave watermarks on the table. To prevent water stains from accumulating, clean these stains after each usage.
5. Tips and Tricks to Consider Before Buying A Glass and Wood Coffee Table
Know Your Table Proportions
Similarly to choosing the appropriate height for a coffee table, you should search for one that is the right length in proportion to the width of your couch.
In particular, your coffee table should measure about two-thirds the length of your couch.
For example, if you have a 96-inch couch, you should search for a glass and wood coffee table that is 64 inches long.
Consider Your Own Needs
If you are looking for a quality wood and glass coffee table, you need to look for something that fits your lifestyle and habits.
Let’s say you are a person who likes to store the books by the coffee table, then look for something that has got a lot of stacks to put your magazines and books underneath.
Do you like to keep it plain and simple? Then buy a glass and wood coffee table that resembles the interior style of your place.
Choose Your Materials Carefully
Finally, before you go shopping for the ideal coffee table, choose a few materials that will complement your lifestyle and environment. Don’t simply go with wood when there are so many other choices.
Now that that glass is out of the question for families with young children, consider alternative choices that may work well for your family’s lifestyle.
If you have limited space, a lucite coffee table may be a smart choice to avoid visually cluttering the room. If you have mid-toned hardwood flooring, avoid using wood and instead choose something complimentary like marbles or travertine.
Consider if you’d like to be able to move the item easily or have it firmly anchor the area. All of these inquiries may assist you in selecting the ideal coffee table. You can even have sourcing furniture experts’ opinions to weigh your options better.
Choosing whether you would opt for glass and or wood coffee table can be a challenging task to do. This decision may also affect your lifestyle, living environment, and even the safety of the people around you.
Do you have comments and recommendations?
Let us know in the comments down below!